Saturday, April 17, 2010

Happy Summer Cooking!!!

I'm so excited!! I have an outdoor summer kitchen!!

After sitting idle in our dining room for 25 years, our antique wood cookstove has a new lease on life -- in the back yard.

It's no mean feat to move a 600+ pound chunk of cast iron, but with Hannah and Tony's help, we got it accomplished.

The picture below is Tom trying to make it level.

And here he is, putting together the stove pipe.


Getting closer . . .



Of course, once it was all hooked up and ready to roll, I couldn't stand the idea of waiting until tomorrow to cook something on it. It wanted me to cook something on it. So, we cooked several things on it.


Ummm . . . taters.


Tomorrow, I will attempt bread, and maybe cookies. It's been nearly 30 years since I cooked on this beast, so it will take me a little time to get re-acquainted with it. The whole thing is yet to be finished. The brick floor will be expanded, and it will have a roof and three walls (a lean-to). But, it can be used at this point.

Oh, and the picture below is an update on my bathroom herb garden. Looking good!

2 Comments:

At April 18, 2010 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Mose said...

Very, very cool. Or should I say, Hot. Can hardly wait to warm myself by the old stove.

 
At April 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray! I'm excited to come over and see it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home