Monday, February 15, 2010

Dem bones

I spent the last couple days making beef demi-glace. I'm actually pretty pleased with myself. The picture below is a bunch of beef bones (got them at Super Saver, Günter). Lest you think I'm a ghoul, the red stuff on them is tomato paste. Anyway, I roasted these for a while, turning them frequently.

Then, I roasted some carrots, celery, and onion for a while. Then I put it all together, with a bottle of red wine, some rosemary, and some thyme. Simmered it for 8 hours, and strained it several times through cheesecloth.

Then simmered it about 4 more hours, straining it several times.

Then simmered it a couple more hours, after more straining.

After all that, I ended up with about 2 quarts of this intense jelly-like substance. A couple of tablespoons of it will be about the equivalent of a boullion cube, without the MSG and other chemicals.
I did this with chicken last week, so now I have a wonderful and delicious stash, which, with any luck, will result in some wonderful and delicious dishes (almost every recipe in my new Anthony Bourdain cookbook calls for it).

2 Comments:

At February 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

holy shit mom, nice work! Anthony would be so proud!

 
At March 9, 2010 at 11:28 PM , Blogger Mose said...

With your (and Mssr. Bourdain's) help, I duplicated (but didn't photograph) your effort on the weekend on which my lovely wife was descending into pneumoniasis horribilis. I've ueed it in chili and C is using it in some rice-and-old-steak stirfry for dinner tomorrow night — The rice + 2 icecube trays of demi glace is great without the steak, etc.!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home