Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Political Sausage-Making

I'm so sick of politicians. Specifically, I'm sick of Republicans. I know it's stupid, but I actually listen to Sean Hannity during my five-minute drive home (it's all I can stand). I generally figure it's worthwhile to hear what "those people" are talking about. Mostly, though, they just piss me off.

Don't get me wrong, I actually know and like some Republicans. I grew up in a Republican household. I live in a Republican state. I'm a state employee, and work for a Republican administration.

What really has me going right now, though, is the constant harping about Obama. There is no amount of hard evidence that could get these nut-jobs to open their minds, even a crack. It gives credence to the notion that "If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it." I truly believe that Obama is trying to reach out to Republicans; but if an idea comes out of his mouth, they reject it out of hand. Their whole strategy is simply to "block everything." They don't seem to have any ideas of their own, nor are they willing to participate in any meaningful discussion. It seems ludicrous to me that a majority in both houses of congress can still be so completely and utterly stymied. On everything. Even just confirming Obama's appointments as agency heads, not to mention judges.

This guy is one of our local loons, but he seems to have a lot of traction. If you click on the linked article, you'll see that even our local newspaper treats him like a hero. He has an investment company (actually called a "wealth management" company); and in his ads, he says that if you decide to do business with him, he'll give you $100 towards the purchase of a firearm. Yikes.

I actually heard most of Sarah Palin's keynote speech at last week's Tea Party convention. At the end of it, the crowd started chanting, "Run, Sarah, Run!" which sort of freaked me out. Can you even imagine what the rest of the world would think of us if someone like her could actually be a serious candidate for president?

No, I take it back. I hope she does run. I hope she gets the nomination. A debate between her and Obama would definitely be entertaining, albeit kind of sad.

I also find it disturbing that the federal government doesn't have time to govern. As soon as one election is over, the campaigns for the next one begin. I say "federal government," only because it's not as much as an issue at the state or local level (at least in Nebraska). But I guess it's true that a politician never stops campaigning.

I don't know what the answer is. I just know that, if I could afford it, I'd move to New Zealand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home