Saturday, February 6, 2010

Winter Wonderland

We're getting a little tired of winter, but the last couple of days have been pretty beautiful. The weather couldn't decide whether to rain or snow, but when it finally decided to snow, it's that wet and heavy stuff that sticks to every horizontal surface (and it covered up the ugly, dirty leftover snow). It's also been quite warm and non-windy.


Unfortunately, there's ice underneath that pretty snow. Makes driving a little treacherous.
Tom's been working on his cabin fever by building a new coffee cup shelf. It's really cool, and will be followed one of these days by more shelves underneath to replace the hideous metal shelves that I've had since I was in college (does that make it an antique?). Gary, notice the Hal cup in the middle!

Günter and Beca gave me an Anthony Bourdain cookbook (a late Christmas present). It's a terrific read, even if I never cook anything from it. Every recipe in it has witty comments. I had grand designs on making demi glace this weekend, but couldn't get the bones I need (I ordered them, though). Guess I'll have to save my own by roasting a couple of chickens. Almost everything in this book calls for demi glace (super-concentrated stock). I guess ingredients are a lot easier to come by in New York City than in Lincoln, Nebraska.

1 Comments:

At March 9, 2010 at 11:23 PM , Blogger Mose said...

The cup shelf is terrific (and inspiring). The photo of bird feeders with the woodpecker on the side is quite beautiful. Olé!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home