Friday, January 30, 2009

The sky is falling!

So, Wednesday night, I was minding my own business and cooking supper. I was washing some dishes and had just turned back to the counter to give my stuff a stir, when behind me there was a huge CCRRAASSHH. I turned around to find lots and lots and lots of broken glass on the floor. As I was standing there trying to figure out where it came from, Tom came running up from the basement to see what had happened.

At just that moment, I looked up and saw that the glass cover on the ceiling fixture had fallen -- right where I had just been standing. Ours is a really old house with really high ceilings, so it had quite a distance to fall. It was one of the kind where there are two light bulbs, and a glass cover that is secured by three set screws. Apparently, at least one of the screws wasn't in tight enough (and fortunately, we're unsure which of us was the last to change the bulbs).

Anyway, glass went everywhere. I'm glad my supper had a lid on it! But now we have a new old light fixture:




I asked Tom how securely this one is fastened, and he assured me that it's much better than the previous one. So, that was my brush with death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home