Friday, December 26, 2008

I love my gadgets, I do!!

I have a new favorite kitchen gadget! And the funny thing is, it's an old-timey kitchen gadget that I will use extensively to replace more modern kitchen gadgets. Want to know what it is? It's a PRESSURE COOKER!

I blogged a few posts back about using a pressure canner, but this is a cooker. Hannah gave it to me for Christmas, and it will totally replace my rice cooker (Günter and Beca, you want it?), and my microwave for many things. It will also replace my crock pot for actual cooking (but the crock pot is still a good thing if you're taking a hot dish to a pot luck).

I had to play with it today, of course, so the first thing I cooked in it was brown rice. 15 minutes from measuring to eating. Then I did some dried pinto beans. I had soaked them, but cooking time for perfect beans was 10 minutes total. I bought a chuck roast this morning that I will cook in it tomorrow. I'm excited.

I had told Hannah that I wanted one, but that it had to be stainless steel. She said she had to go to 6 different stores to find it (and she actually even set foot in WalMart), and finally found it at Sears. You can get aluminum ones many places (which is what my canner is), but I don't like the idea of cooking in aluminum.

I love kitchen gadgets. I would love, love, love to have a KitchenAid mixer. Trouble is, we have a TINY kitchen. If I had a big kitchen with LOTS of counter space, I'd have every electric gadget I could lay my hands on and just leave them out and ready to use all the time. The trouble with a little kitchen and gadgets is that I have to dig them out, unpack them, use them, clean them, pack them, and re-bury them. Too much trouble. So finding a gadget that will virtually replace several others is truly a blessing. Thanks, Hannah!

Note to Günter and Beca: I also adored my stocking (they gave me my very own stocking, which I hadn't had since I was 18). Whistling chickens and fish pens aren't exactly blog material. BUT, Tom has barely taken off his Mr. Rogers cardigan.

1 Comments:

At December 26, 2008 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

Oh! I'm so glad you like your toy! Makes me think perhaps I need one m'self...I've never actually made my own beans and navy beans have been sounding so good lately...time to experiment. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home