Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year!

First post of 2009! I'll start with a couple of updates:

  1. Crazy Decorator Neighbors have morphed their Christmas decorations into Valentine's Day decorations. I'm not going to post a picture of it, but you can probably imagine it -- just think about lots of red lights and hearts. But don't forget about Baachus and Venus (and, I suppose, Uncle Sam and the soldiers)!


  2. Pressure Cooker worked GREAT on the pot roast; and I tried Swiss steak, which was also wonderful. I haven't been this tickled with an appliance for a very long time. Hannah and Beca are coming over next weekend to make and can minestrone, so I'll give it the acid test of cooking kidney beans and garbanzos (chick peas) from dry.

I'm going to talk a little about video games. I'm finding them slightly disturbing. They are so cool, and I totally understand the attraction, but I fear that all the technology is taking the place of actual human interaction (and I'm speaking as someone who was hopelessly addicted to "Legend of Zelda" some years ago). The Wii games are amazing, and I have to say that I'm at least glad to see that it's getting people off their asses. For example, bowling. But you know what? Getting a bunch of friends together and going to a bowling alley is one of the funnest and cheapest nights out I can think of.

Another one that totally boggles me is Guitar Hero. Hannah brought it over here one night, and Tom and I just sat shaking our heads. Günter, who is an accomplished guitar player, wasn't any better at it than the others (it's really hard). So, here's the question: If you're going to invest that much time and effort into getting good at the game, why not just learn to play the guitar?

Well, I could get myself in trouble if I go on, so I'll stop. It's just one of those things I think about, and I know it shows my age (and curmudgeonliness).

2 Comments:

At January 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I had some similar feelings on Christmas when I was watching people try out my niece's wii. Why the wii bothers me more than anything else, I can't say. I guess my first thought was that it provides another outlet for a person to spend time that doesn't result in learning anything or interacting with other people. Maybe it's because they are so expensive that the wii thing nagged at me. But I don't think cost and the time invested with no discernible payback are anything new, so I'm still not sure what bugs me. Maybe when I think of someone connected to a wii in a basement for hours on end I mourn the lost time that could better be spent doing a million other things. I can't say what it is, but I was relieved to see I'm not the only curmudgeonly soul who feels unsettled by them. Great post.

 
At January 5, 2009 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

Yeah, the funny thing about me and video games is that I think they're cool for the first hour I have them and then I'm bored of them (and the shoot em' up kinds of games give me anxiety attacks). Tony has a Wii fit with his Wii and it's actually really freakin' neat and I'll do yoga on it occasionally (actually learning form, posture and breathing tips), but the thing nags me when it's been a week since I'd last used it and I'm always shrieking at it "I work out in the real world you judgmental piece of shit!"

anyway... I completely understand and I'm glad Tony's only a gamer when I'm not around.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home