Sunday, December 14, 2008

From Tasty to Tasteless

I said last week that I really love the holidays. I do, I really do, but one of my neighbors could easily turn a person off. I have posted some pictures of this over-the-top house, but they don't really do it justice. This house is a monument to bad taste! The house actually blares electronic Christmas music, and the lights flash in time to the music. It's unbelievable. Check this out:

If you click on the image, it will show up full size. You almost have to do that to get the full effect. Note the odd juxtaposition of the plastic dog, Baachus, and what the hell are Uncle Sam and the tin soldiers doing in the caged off area?.
Through the gate, there is a lit up nativity scene. It's all white, though, and looks like ghosts. It's positively frightening.
And here we have the seven dwarves. WTF?? This one's a little dark, as I was afraid to use the flash (Tom and I snuck over there at about 1:00 a.m.).
Here you can sort of get the essence of the ghostly nativity.
And who can forget the Wise Men being guarded by Frosty the Snowman. There's a Santa Claus on the porch.
Okay, I get it -- they're using Venus as Snow White! I braved the flash this time.


On another note, the reason we were up so late last night is that we of little social life actually went to TWO parties!! Woo-hoo! One of them was a party we go to every year at Candy and Floyd's house, where everyone exchanges "white elephant" gifts. Here is a picture of our swag from this year:
Of course, everyone needs a statue of Bob Hope. And the leather obelisks are just beyond comprehension! They still have price stickers on the bottom -- someone paid $26 for the big one, and $20 for the smaller one. Go figure.

4 Comments:

At December 14, 2008 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Mose said...

You must get Gunter over to make a video of the house. This just begs for it.

Meanwhile, I see it's colder and snowing a bit there. Told you so!

 
At December 16, 2008 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Hannah said...

I can't flippin' believe you got Bob Hope!! Lucky lucky people you. (that's the second time, right?) I'm sad I missed the white elephant party! I always look forward to it.

It was super awesome coming home to 2 curmudgeonly posts! Keep it up they entertain me very much!

 
At December 17, 2008 at 1:07 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I originally found you a few months ago through Gunter's blog and I visit here every once in a while because your posts are so funny. This time I had to leave a comment because I almost spit water all over my laptop laughing so hard.

Thanks for the laugh!

 
At December 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jo - I've seen it only during the day, so I couldn't quite believe it was as bad as you'd said. It's not - it's worse!!! Thanks for sharing :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home